Characterization of sodium alginate/D-limonene emulsions and respective calcium alginate/D-limonene beads produced by electrostatic extrusion
Lijakovic, Ivana Pajic
Rakić, Vesna M.
Šolević Knudsen, Tatjana
Pavlović, Vladimir B.
Članak u časopisu (Recenzirana verzija)
MetapodaciPrikaz svih podataka o dokumentu
In this study, calcium alginate beads immobilizing D-limonene (solid systems) have been manufactured starting from emulsions of this flavor in sodium alginate (liquid systems). The effects of alginate concentration (0.02 and 0.03 g/mL) and flavor content (5 and 10 % w/w) on viscosity, conductivity and stability of emulsions were investigated. The flavor droplets in emulsions are bigger as polymer solution is more concentrated and contains more of the flavor. When emulsions have been subjected to electrostatic extrusion and upon Na+-Ca2+ ion exchange, smaller (similar to 960 to similar to 1450 mm) and less spherical beads were obtained (sphericity factor 0.003-0.21) compared to beads produced by simple dripping technique (without electrostatic field). When wet beads were air dried, they shrunk less if they had higher content of the flavor. Novel mathematical model describing swelling kinetics of dried beads is developed. In this work, D-limonene was efficiently immobilized within Ca-alg...inate beads (immobilization efficiency similar to 50 to similar to 77%) and its thermal stability was confirmed by TG/MS analysis.
Ključne reči:Immobilization / Alginate / Electrostatic extrusion / D-limonene / Swelling
Izvor:Food Hydrocolloids, 2015, 45, 111-123
- Elsevier Sci Ltd, Oxford
- Razvoj novih inkapsulacionih i enzimskih tehnologija za proizvodnju biokatalizatora i biološki aktivnih komponenata hrane u cilju povećanja njene konkurentnosti, kvaliteta i bezbednosti (RS-46010)
- Razvoj i primena novih i tradicionalnih tehnologija u proizvodnji konkurentnih prehrambenih proizvoda sa dodatom vrednošću za evropsko i svetsko tržište - Stvorimo bogatstvo iz bogatstva Srbije (RS-46001)
- Advancing research in agricultural and food sciences at Faculty of Agriculture, University of Belgrade (EU-316004)
- This is peer-reviewed version of the artcle: S. Lević, I.P. Lijaković, V. Đorđević, V. Rac, V. Rakić, T.Š. Knudsen, V. Pavlović, B. Bugarski, V. Nedović, Characterization of sodium alginate/d-limonene emulsions and respective calcium alginate/d-limonene beads produced by electrostatic extrusion, Food Hydrocoll. 45 (2015) 111–123 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2014.10.001
- Published version: http://cer.ihtm.bg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/1762