Characterization of sodium alginate/D-limonene emulsions and respective calcium alginate/D-limonene beads produced by electrostatic extrusion
Lijakovic, Ivana Pajic
Rakić, Vesna M.
Šolević Knudsen, Tatjana
Pavlović, Vladimir B.
Article (Accepted Version)
MetadataShow full item record
In this study, calcium alginate beads immobilizing D-limonene (solid systems) have been manufactured starting from emulsions of this flavor in sodium alginate (liquid systems). The effects of alginate concentration (0.02 and 0.03 g/mL) and flavor content (5 and 10 % w/w) on viscosity, conductivity and stability of emulsions were investigated. The flavor droplets in emulsions are bigger as polymer solution is more concentrated and contains more of the flavor. When emulsions have been subjected to electrostatic extrusion and upon Na+-Ca2+ ion exchange, smaller (similar to 960 to similar to 1450 mm) and less spherical beads were obtained (sphericity factor 0.003-0.21) compared to beads produced by simple dripping technique (without electrostatic field). When wet beads were air dried, they shrunk less if they had higher content of the flavor. Novel mathematical model describing swelling kinetics of dried beads is developed. In this work, D-limonene was efficiently immobilized within Ca-alg...inate beads (immobilization efficiency similar to 50 to similar to 77%) and its thermal stability was confirmed by TG/MS analysis.
Keywords:Immobilization / Alginate / Electrostatic extrusion / D-limonene / Swelling
Source:Food Hydrocolloids, 2015, 45, 111-123
- Elsevier Sci Ltd, Oxford
- Novel encapsulation and enzyme technologies for designing of new biocatalysts and biologically active compounds targeting enhancement of food quality, safety and competitiveness (RS-46010)
- Develooment and utilization of novel and traditional technologies in production of competitive food products with added valued for national and global market - CREATING WEALTH FROM THE WEALTH OF SERBIA (RS-46001)
- Advancing research in agricultural and food sciences at Faculty of Agriculture, University of Belgrade (EU-316004)
- This is peer-reviewed version of the artcle: S. Lević, I.P. Lijaković, V. Đorđević, V. Rac, V. Rakić, T.Š. Knudsen, V. Pavlović, B. Bugarski, V. Nedović, Characterization of sodium alginate/d-limonene emulsions and respective calcium alginate/d-limonene beads produced by electrostatic extrusion, Food Hydrocoll. 45 (2015) 111–123 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2014.10.001
- Published version: http://cer.ihtm.bg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/1762