Levels of toxic elements in canned fish from the Serbian markets and their health risks assessment
AuthorsPopović, Aleksandar R.
Milijašević, Milan P.
Article (Accepted Version)
MetadataShow full item record
A total of 138 samples of canned tuna, sardines and mackerel from the Serbian market were analyzed for toxic (As, Cd, Pb, Hg) element levels using ICPMS. The highest average contents of toxic elements were found to be 1.70 mg kg(-1) for arsenic and 0.026 mg kg(-1) for cadmium in sardine and 0.068 mg kg(-1) for mercury in tuna. The lead content was very similar (similar to 0.048 mg kg(-1)) of the three types of canned fish. None of the fish analyzed contained toxic elements in levels exceeding the maximum allowable levels currently in force. Human health risk assessment of As, Cd, Pb and Hg in canned fish were investigated. A risk assessment based on the measured levels of examined elements indicated that consumption of canned fish according to current eating habits in Serbia presents little risk to human health since the carcinogenic risk is within the acceptable range, 10(-4)-10(-6).
Keywords:Food analysis / Food composition / Toxic elements / Canned fish / Serbian market / ICP-MS / Health risks assessment
Source:Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 2018, 67, 70-76
- Academic Press Inc Elsevier Science, San Diego
- The study of physicochemical and biochemical processes in living environment that have impacts on pollution and the investigation of possibilities for minimizing the consequences (RS-172001)
- Improvement and development of hygienic and technological procedures in production of animal originating foodstuffs with the aim of producing high-quality and safe products competetive on the global market (RS-46009)
- Osmotic dehydration of food - energy and ecological aspects of sustainable production (RS-31055)
- This is peer-reviewed version of the following article: Popovic, A. R.; Djinovic-Stojanovic, J. M.; Djordjevic, D. S.; Relic, D. J.; Vranic, D. V.; Milijasevic, M. P.; Pezo, L. L. Levels of Toxic Elements in Canned Fish from the Serbian Markets and Their Health Risks Assessment. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 2018, 67, 70–76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2018.01.003
- Published version: http://cer.ihtm.bg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/2320