Preliminary investigation of mineral content of pollen collected from different Serbian maize hybrids - is there any potential nutritional value?
АуториKostić, Aleksandar Ž.
Kaluderovic, Lazar M.
Barać, Miroljub B.
Babic, Vojka B.
Macukanovic-Jocic, Marina P.
Чланак у часопису (Рецензирана верзија)
МетаподациПриказ свих података о документу
BACKGROUNDBee pollen has already proved to be a good supplement rich in iron and zinc. Studies on the application of flower pollen in the food industry and medicine have begun. Bearing in mind the prevalence of maize as a crop culture, its pollen will be easily available. The mineral composition of pollen of seven Serbian maize hybrids was analyzed in order to establish its nutritional value and the benefits of its implementation in the human diet using the inductively coupled plasma method. RESULTSThe presence of twenty four different macro- (nine) and micronutrients (fifteen) was detected. The most common minerals were phosphorus and potassium, while arsenic, cobalt, lead, nickel and molybdenum were found in some samples. CONCLUSIONComparing the results obtained with recommended or tolerable dietary intake references for adults, it was found that maize pollen can be used as a very good source of zinc, iron, chromium and manganese for humans. With regard to selenium content, pollen sa...mples proved to be moderately good source of this important micronutrient. Contents of some elements (Fe, Zn, Mn, Cr, Se, Al and V) showed significant differences depending on hybrid type. In some samples increased concentrations of aluminum and vanadium were recorded, which may pose a potential problem due to their toxicity.
Кључне речи:maize / pollen / minerals / nutritional value
Извор:Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 2017, 97, 9, 2803-2809
- Wiley-Blackwell, Hoboken
- Коришћење биљних извора протеина, дијеталних влакана и антиоксиданаса у производњи хране (RS-31069)
- Унапређење и развој хигијенских и технолошких поступака у производњи намирница животињског порекла у циљу добијања квалитетних и безбедних производа конкурентних на светском тржишту (RS-46009)
- Advancing research in agricultural and food sciences at Faculty of Agriculture, University of Belgrade (EU-316004)
- This is peer-reviewed version of the artcle: A.Ž. Kostić, L.M. Kaluđerović, B.P. Dojčinović, M.B. Barać, V.B. Babić, M.P. Mačukanović-Jocić, Preliminary investigation of mineral content of pollen collected from different Serbian maize hybrids – is there any potential nutritional value?, J. Sci. Food Agric. 97 (2017) 2803–2809. https://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.8108
- The published version: http://cer.ihtm.bg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/2244