Improved in vitro antitumor potential of (O,O'-Diisobutyl-ethylenediamine-N,N'-di-3-propionate)tetrachloridoplatinum(IV) complex under normoxic and hypoxic conditions
Authorized Users Only
Kaluderovic, Milena R
Kaluđerović, Goran N.
Maksimović-Ivanić, Danijela D.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
(O,O'-Diisobutyl-ethylenediamine-N,N'-di-3-propionate)tetrachloridoplatinum(IV), [PtCl4(iBu(2)eddp)]. shows an improved pharmacological profile in comparison to cisplatin. This is manifested through accelerated dying process led by necrotic cell death, reflected through mitochondrial collapse, strong ATP depletion and reactive oxygen species production. Loss of mitochondrial potential was further followed with intensive apoptosis that finalized with DNA fragmentation. Different dynamic of tumoricidal action could be partly ascribed to less affected repair mechanisms in comparison to cisplatin. Importantly, [PtCl4(iBu(2)eddp)] did not induce necrosis in primary fibroblasts suggesting different intracellular response of normal vs. tumor cells. This selectivity toward malignant phenotype is further confirmed by retained tumoricidal potential in hypoxic conditions, while cisplatin became completely inefficient.
Keywords:Platinum(IV) complex / Cisplatin / ATP depletion / Mitochondrial collapse / Oxidative stress / Hypoxic conditions
Source:European Journal of Pharmacology, 2015, 760, 136-144
- Elsevier Science Bv, Amsterdam
- Molecular mechanisms of physiological and pharmacological control of inflammation and cancer (RS-173013)
- Signaling molecules in diabetes: search for potential targets in intrinsic pathways for prediction and intervention in diabetes (RS-173020)
- Rational design and synthesis of biologically active and coordination compounds and functional materials, relevant for (bio)nanotechnology (RS-172035)
- SMWK - 33707045
- SAB (ESF) - 100147954
- Free State of Saxony - 100099597